Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm Remembering Before I Start Forgetting...


I remember vacationing in Morecambe at the Seaside - located just below the Lake District and to the West of the Yorkshire Dales (hmmm, think nippy & wet!) It was an adventure without Mom and we were young, maybe I was 5 or 6? We must have been either visiting from Germany or moving back to UK from Germany whilst Dad went to Vietnam. So that would make it 1967. Found a great picture of the type of B&B we stayed in - just think forty-two years ago...I was not happy that Lee got to bunk up in the "lofty, very low slanted ceiling" room with Gran and Aunty Pat. Even way back then I was not known as an "early riser". Two must haves: sleep & peanutbutter! I got to bunk with Aunty Barb and Uncle Bill and cousin Paul. Barb and Bill were never known for their early rising routine - they were the sleeper-inners! But when you are that young and sleeping in a strange place, hello.....you wake up early! Well at least Paul and I did. And....to make matters worse, we would hear Pat, Gran and Lee leaving their room. So we were usually that last at breakfast which was a total Faulty Towers affair. They had one of the dumb waiters.....and they would yell down the shaft "send up some more bread, Dad!" in a very thick Yorkshire accent. Of course, we were "all about the toast" people! There is nothing like white, English bread, toasted, cut in triangles and smeared with GOOD butter. The best. I remember a few trips down to the "beach". We were rugged up well, and it was overcast and spitting. We got to ride the donkeys. Mostly I remember being in the dining room with all the other guests and eating. Lots of cups of tea everywhere and asking for more bread and waiting oh so patiently for him to pull the rope and up it would pop on the dumb waiter thingy. We laughed all the time. Will have to have Sissy fill in the blanks. Oh lots of Rock candy!

1 comments:

Sissy said...

and what did Gran, Pat and i have at the cafe at around 6:30am - tea and toast - before returning for more tea and toast - is it any wonder i am such a carb addict.? 'Member Aunty Pat fell out of the high bed....twice?? I don't remember hearing any noises from your room....not at 6am....